Saturday, January 5, 2013

You Matter to Me

This has been quite a week here at chez Rads. It has been a flurry of knitting, coffee, cleaning and organizing and getting ready for the beginning of the end of semester. Talk has turned from holidays and activities to exams and work schedules. It is inevitable really. I love organizing and there is nothing I like better than new work supplies and getting my post-it notes in order! Late in the week this usually enjoyable activity was  taken down a peg by the recent draconian efforts of our own Dolores Umbridge.  It is as if I have been beaten up and then the person who has kicked the snot out of me has tried to give me a hand up. No. Just no.

I hate this situation and I hate what it is going to do to my students and my colleagues. Things are going to change and not, in my opinion, for the better. Yes, I realize that I am lucky to have a job. Yes, I am blessed to have a job that I love for the most part. Yes, I get to spend time with really cool people doing some very interesting and engaging stuff. See? I get it. But my heart is still heavy. The post it notes and the new pens aren't going to do it for me anymore.

Here's the thing - as tough as this is going to get - you matter to me. You are the reason that I do what I do. Seeing you in my classroom every day and knowing that you are there to learn is the best reason to do what I do. You matter. What you think, say and do really matters to me. I wanted you to know that. I hope the converse is true. I hope that you know that you matter and I hope that I matter to you. I hope that you look forward to being in my class to learn. I hope you look forward to seeing me. I want you to get my jokes (laughing is optional), understand the things I am trying to teach and try your best to do what I ask. You matter.

It is going to be odd coming back to school this week. Let's keep an eye out for each other.  Let someone know that they matter to you.  Until then enjoy the last of your holiday.  I have some more knitting to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment